For crossing back into the U.S. by land – IMPORTANT!!: As of June 1, 2009 a passport or passport card is required for returning to the U.S under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative.
U.S. Border Crossing Requirements Have Changed- Make sure you are compliant today!
Simplify your travel checklist!
Starting June 1, 2009, U.S. citizens returning home from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean or Bermuda, by land or sea, are required to present one of the following travel documents:
- U.S. Passport
- U.S. passport card (only valid for travel by land and sea)
- Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL)
- Trusted Traveler Program cards: Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST
- Children under 16 arriving by land or sea my present an original or copy of birth certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or a Naturalization Certificate
- U.S. lawful permanent residents: Permanent resident card (Form I-551)
- U.S. Military: Valid U.S. Military identification card when traveling on official orders
Knowing what documents are required and having them ready when you return home will help streamline the entry process and ensure your return to the U.S. is as smooth
as possible. For additional information please visit (www.getyouhome.gov).