Traveling with boat & watercraft

Per provisions of the Secretary of the Treasury, all recreational and sports boats measuring 4.5 meters (14.7” ft.) or more in length (yachts, catamarans, sail boats, etc.) coming into Mexico must follow guidelines regarding temporary importation, which is then valid for 10 years.Cinco-de-Mayo-Hobie-Points-Regatta-2015-016-630x420 Traveling with boat & watercraft

The customs/sea vessel section on the site details requirements for temporary importation (presently only in Spanish): Temporary Importation of Sea Vessels

Where can temporary import permits be acquired?

  • Online at
  • At CIITEV offices located at the customs office at border entry points
  • At Mexican Consulates: Phoenix, AZ; Denver, CO; Albuquerque, NM; Sacramento and San Bernardino, CA: Austin, Dallas and Houston, TX; and Chicago, IL.


$51 US(+tax) When obtained at CIITEV offices at border entries, or at Mexican Consulates in the U.S.

$45 US(+tax) Online

How to pay?

At CIITEV offices and Mexican consulates: cash, credit, or debit

Online:  credit


  • Accredit identification with copy of valid official government issued ID
  • Accredit ownership or possession of sea vessel or trailer, as applicable, by providing any of the following documents containing data of vessel (name, brand, model, type, and HIN hull number, registry or certification)
  • Receipt or sales contract, in the name of importer
  • Lading or lease contract in the name of importer, with letter of owner authorizing temporary permit into country of embarkation
  • Ownership title
  • Valid certificate of registry

For more information and to apply online, visit the Banjercito page under:  Application for Temporary Import Permit for Vehicles, Boats, and RVs

Select language (middle of page), then Type of Permit. Select “Boat Permit” and continue to scroll down on each page after text in order to follow outlined steps.  A bar code after completing the process is meant to facilitate continual crossing of sea vessels.