In preserving Mexican traditions while promoting community participation in cultural and recreational activities, the City of Puerto Peñasco announces the 2019 Catrina Contest in honor of Day of the Dead.
- Open to the public in general
- Register at the Office of Art & Culture (across from City Hall) by October 31st – office open Monday-Friday 8 am-7 pm Registration is free.
- Categories: 1-12 years old / General
- Participants must fill out registration form COMPLETELY
- Only one costume per person. Individual participation only.
- Upon registration, contestants must present a letter-sized page (no more than 10 lines) including a general description of their costume. Contestants must also sign, noting their agreement with contest results.
- Costumes must include characteristics of the traditional Catrina, with creative freedom to adapt and artistically add innovative concepts to the design
- Catrina Contest will be held during the Day of the Dead celebration (November 2nd 8 p.m. on Ave. 32 curios market “Rodeo Drive”), where judges indicate Catrina parade to take place
- All participants will receive certificate of recognition, cash prizes for top three places in each category.
- Contest coordinators will name two renowned art judges for each category. Upon registry, contestants will be designated a number that must be worn during the contest.
- Judges to score originality, aesthetic value, creativity, and attitude of Catrina contestant.
- Judges’ decision is final, awards to be given out Nov. 2nd at 10:30 p.m. Prizes: Children’s category (must be accompanied by an adult) 1st 3000 pesos, 2nd 2000 pesos, 3rd 1000 pesos General category: 1st 10,000 pesos, 2nd 5000 pesos, 3rd 3000 pesos
- Any other question concerning the 2019 Catrina Contest to be resolved by coordinating team.
More information: Dirección de Arte y Cultura
Teléfono oficina: 38 33323 | 388 6375
Facebook: Casa de la Cultura de Puerto Peñasco
NOTE: Prizes sponsored by local business and private initiatives