The City of Puerto Peñasco announces the 2019 Day of the Dead Altar contest in upholding Mexican traditions and promoting community participation.
- Open to: Schools, General Public
- Register at the Office of Art & Culture (across from City Hall) by October 31st – office open Monday-Friday 8 am-7 pm Registration is free.
- One altar registry per teams made up of minimum 2 to maximum 15 people
- Participants must fill out registration form COMPLETELY, naming one person as team leader. Registrants must also sign an agreement with contest results
- Altars must use traditional elements while there is room for putting one’s own creative stamp on the work, taking into consideration judges will first qualify traditional elements per regions in Mexico, and then complementary elements.
- Altars must be dedicated to a family members, famous person, or character as selected by the group.
- Organizers will assign spaces for each altar, which should not surpass 4m x 4m.
- Participants will receive certificate of recognition, cash prizes for top three places. Prizes: 1st 15,000 pesos, 2nd 10,000 pesos, 3rd 5000 pesos
- Contest coordinators will have a prestigious panel of judges who will visit and each altar in order to hear a description of each. If a participating team is not present at the time announced for judging, their participation will be void.
- Participants must commit to put up their Day of the Dead altars, and be present both days, Friday Nov. 1st and Saturday Nov. 2nd. On Friday, altars must be ready by 6 p.m. which is when judges will begin viewing.
- Participants must commit to taking down their altar after the awards ceremony to be held Saturday, Nov. 2nd at 10:30 p.m.
- Judges’ decision is final, awards to be given out Nov. 2nd at 10:30 p.m.
- Any other question concerning the 2019 Catrina Contest to be resolved by coordinating team.
More information: Dirección de Arte y Cultura
Teléfono oficina: 388 6375
Facebook: Casa de la Cultura de Puerto Peñasco
NOTE: Prizes provided by local businesses and private initiatives.