Weather Alert –
Location: Mexican States of Baja California Sur, Oaxaca, Colima, Guerrero, Jalisco, Michoacan, Nayarit, Sinaloa, and Sonora.
Event: Tropical Storm Nora is forecast to strengthen to a hurricane by Saturday as it approaches the southwestern coast of Mexico and then moves towards the Baja peninsula early next week. A hurricane watch and tropical storm warnings are in effect for portions of the states of Baja California Sur, Colima, Jalisco, Michoacan, Nayarit, Sinaloa, and Sonora. Heavy rains, strong winds, and heavy surf are expected, which could cause life-threatening flash floods and mudslides. In addition, dangerous storm surges are possible that could raise water levels near the coast and be accompanied by large and dangerous waves.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor the local news for updates, follow directions from local officials, and in case of emergency, call 911.
- Some flights could be impacted. Check with your airline for updates.
- Monitor the National Hurricane Center and the Mexican National Meteorological Service (Servicio Meteorológico Nacional) for updates on storm activity and emergency response.
- Keep your friends and loved ones up-to-date about your whereabouts via phone, text, and social media – and let them know you are safe when possible.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on COVID conditions in Mexico.
- Visit the Department of State’s Hurricanes, Typhoons, and Cyclones page for more information.
- If you are a U.S. citizen traveling to or residing in Mexico, enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive safety messages and other travel information.
- For Emergency Assistance for U.S. citizens in Mexico, call +52-55-8526-2561 from Mexico or +1-844-528-6611 from the United States.
- American Citizen Services Contact Form
- State Department – Consular Affairs: +1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Follow the U.S. Embassy in Mexico on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review Mexico Country Information.
- Review the Crime and Safety Reports for Mexico.
- Prepare a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.