Message for U.S. Citizens: U.S. Embassy Mexico City (March 21, 2020)
The United States and Mexico agree on the need for a dedicated joint effort to prevent spread of the COVID-19 virus and address the economic effects resulting from reduced mobility along our shared border. The U.S. and Mexican governments further recognize critical services such as food, fuel, healthcare, and life-saving medicines must reach people on both sides of the border every day. Essential travel must therefore continue unimpeded during this time. In order to ensure that essential travel can continue, the United States and Mexico are also temporarily restricting all non-essential travel across its borders.
This action does not prevent U.S. citizens from returning home. This action does not apply to air travel.
These restrictions are temporary and go into effect on March 21, 2020. They will remain in effect through 11:59 pm on April 20, 2020. This decision has been coordinated with the Governments of Mexico and Canada. Please see our Frequently Asked Questions for further information on the temporary limitations on nonessential travel.
Additional statement by Department of Homeland Security: Joint Statement on US-Mexico Initiative
Actions to Take:
• Learn more about the temporary limitations on our webpage.
• Visit Customs and Border Protection’s website for more information on operations and wait times at ports of entry between Mexico and the United States.
• Many travelers worldwide have reported unexpected flight cancellations and limited flight availibility. Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
• Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Mexico.
• Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
• For Emergency Assistance for U.S. citizens in Mexico, call 81 4160 5512 from Mexico or 1-844-528-6611 from the United States.
• The U.S. Embassy in Mexico City is located at: Paseo de la Reforma 305, Colonia Cuauhtémoc 06500, Ciudad de México Phone: +52-55-5080-2000 Fax: +52-55-5080-2005 E-Mail: ACSMexicoCity@state.gov
• State Department – Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
• Prepare a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.