This time of year is when U.S. traditions of Halloween melt into Mexico’s commemoration of Day of the Dead. Normally, festivities and memories spill across Puerto Peñasco’s streets, bars, and cemeteries in a colorful display of masks, altars, and catrinas. While many of these traditions still hold true in this atypical year of Covid-19, festivities are limited in number and must follow protocols of wearing a mask and social distancing.
In keeping traditions alive, several local businesses have set up Day of the Dead altars for staff and clients to view. If ever there were a time to wear a mask (besides being a citywide mandate in public places), Halloween weekend under a full moon leading up to Day of the Dead in 2020 seems to be it!
COVID FYI Rocky Point
- Border hours (both ways) remain modified, with border closure at 8 pm daily. U.S. limitation on “non-essential” travel extended to Nov. 21st. Impact is mostly on northbound travelers (US citizens and US permanent residents only – or for essential medical/education/commerce purposes). REMAIN ALERT TO BORDER HOURS!
- Masks (nose/mouth coverings) required in all public spaces across Puerto Peñasco.
- Curfew siren remains in effect at midnight (two long blasts from atop City Hall) – This includes midnight closing of bars / restaurants / clubs
- Beaches (health filters removed) Hours: 6 am – 7 pm / NO GLASS BOTTLES / Pack it in-pack it out (please take your trash) / Masks required when accessing the beach or interacting with vendors, though not in the water or once you’ve claimed your spot on the sand
- Some grocery stores in particular still have limit on # of family members allowed in at same time
- Reduced capacities and health protocols remain in effect at area restaurants/bars
- Presently, there is no health filter when coming into town (removed early September)
Day of the Dead / Halloween notes
-City Cemeteries will be closed Nov. 1st and 2nd (traditional days surrounding Day of the Dead)
– Las Conchas has cancelled traditional Halloween candy distribution
– Manny’s Beach Club will be open for service, but has cancelled their Halloween fiesta and costume contest
– Wrecked to still hold socially distant and masked costume contest, with live music
Friday Seashell Museum – Every Friday 10 am – 5 pm Info: www.seashellmuseum.com
Wednesdays – Paint & Sip Club now @ Cookiez Cantina 12:30 pm – 2:30 pm Find them online: https://www.facebook.com/paintsipclubpenasco
Paint & Sip Sundays back at El Tapeo 5:30 pm $25 US
Oct 29th 1st GrillMasters Tournament – ongoing elimination rounds – Torneo de Parrilleros
Oct 30th – Nov 1st Las Palomas 14th Anniversary Golf Tournament (wait list only).
Oct. 31st Día de Muertos altar & catrina contests @ Casa Juarez broadcast online at: Casa de la Cultura Puerto Peñasco
Oct 31st Pop-up Shop Art Market @ JJ’s Cantina 11 am – 4 pm
Oct 31st – Maridaje night @ Infusión del Golfo at Laguna Shores *Reservations required* 5 course meal with wine tasting
Oct 31st – Halloween @ Arena 3C at end of Calle 13
Oct 31st – Skullyz Cantina Full Moon Party 8 pm
Oct 31st – Wrecked Halloween & Costume Contest
1 de nov – Día de todos los Santos / 2 de noviembre – Día de los Muertos City cemeteries to remain closed *reversal of prior announcement under health protocols
Nov. 7th & 21st Mermaids Market @ Shrimp Plaza 10 am – 3 pm
Nov 13th Festival de Jazz @ El Tapeo
Nov 11 – 15 NOTE: 20th Anniversary of Rocky Point Rally™ postponed to 2021 * It is worth noting, however, as the city is not closed many restaurants/bars will still be having music over the originally scheduled weekend
Nov. 16th BANK HOLIDAY – in commemoration of Revolution Day (Nov 20th)
Nov. 18th Women’s & Children’s Benefit Breakfast @ Puesta del Sol (Playa Bonita) 10 am $20 US
Nov. 20th – 22nd ¡RCPM en Vivo!
Nov 21st & 22nd The Legacy beach volleyball Doubles tournament30th Anniversary Rocky Point Mexico beach volleyball tournament presented by OuttaTownProductions * Games in front of Playa Bonita Resort * This all doubles tournament to benefit the Liga Municipal de Voleibol,
Nov. 26th Thanksgiving – Reservations / pre-orders for delivery HIGHLY RECOMMENDED – updated info as available
Nov 27th & 28th – Mark Mulligan @ Margarita Mermaids Two shows daily (4 pm & 7 pm) Reservations required: firstname.lastname@example.org Space is limited
Dec 5th & 19th Mermaids Market @ Shrimp Plaza 10 am – 3 pm
Dec 4th – 5th Cholla 250 by Southern Arizona Desert Racing
Dec 11th – 12th Rocky Point Golf Tournament – DIF fundraiser for educational scholarships – organized by Tekila Bar / Shark Bite / Manny’s Beach Club
Dec 12th Cholla Bay Christmas Parade
Thanks for your interest in Rocky Point! Be sure to check out the Event Calendar as we continue to update.
Got info on an event?
If you have information you’d like to add, please let us know at email@example.com Office: 638 690 3245, cell: 638 380 8849, or from the US: 480-282-4226 For weekend rundown announcements, please get them to us one week in advance (preferably)…though the earlier the better! Don’t forget to subscribe to RockyPoint360.com to get all our articles and announcements and/or Like us on Facebook at Rocky Point 360
¡Hasta la próxima! #MaskUpRP #HalloweenResponsibly