Blue Flag recertification of 76-meter stretch of beach in front of Manny’s Beach Club in the Mirador would reaffirm distinction obtained last year.
Marcia Ortega Morales, head of Municipal Ecology and Sustainable Development, reports Puerto Peñasco received favorable results from a recent controlled audit concerning Blue Flag recertification of the Manny’s Beach Club area in the Mirador. The audit reported compliance with 91% of the established criteria, with a month to remedy the remaining 9% from observations made by the auditors.
The Municipal director of Ecology and Sustainable Development detailed auditors verified compliance with nearly all of the 33 criteria to maintain Blue Flag certification. These encompass areas of environmental education, water quality, surveillance, cleaning, tourist influx, lifeguards, Blue Flag information module, bicycle station and other parameters.
Ortega Morales noted while they have a month to remedy the remaining criteria, everything is fine overall and it is practically a sure thing that Puerto Peñasco will maintain its Blue Flag status.
Blue Flag distinction is an international certification for coastal areas that encompasses environmental stewardship, safety, services, educational activities, and water quality.
Puerto Peñasco’s received its first Blue Flag distinction in July 2020 for the stretch of beach in front of Manny’s Beach Club in the Mirador, making it the first Blue Flag certified beach in Sonora.