Following a week of Independence day festivities, lessons in storm alert colors, a rainbow or two, and spectacular sunsets brought on with the help of gathering clouds, Puerto Peñasco was barely impacted by Odile’s recent path up from Baja California. With the sun shining brightly once more, and Fall just around the corner (Sept. 22), it’s time to run down the weekend!
The Links at Las Palomas Beach & Golf Resort is getting into their Friday swing with a weekly Skins game open to everyone! $25 US plus $10 for the Skins 2 p.m. For more information contact Golf Director Luis Torres MX (638) 108 10 74 | Toll free US 1 866 636 1475 email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Speaking of golf, the highway between Puerto Peñasco to Caborca was closed earlier in the week due to running washes. If you’re headed to the Peninsula course at Mayan Palace, keep in mind the road may still have water. Just north of town, The Club at Laguna del Mar is an inviting 9-hole course carved into the landscape.
Out and about with local bands
Congratulations, first, to our friends from Agua de Coco who will be taking their salsa beat up to Phoenix this weekend, where they can be seen Sept. 20th at Flor de Calabaza (705 N. First St. Suite 110).
- BooBoys – The stage may be little at Boo Bar in the malecón, but the fun is always grande!
- RiBand – three guys that can rock, rock, ROCK – mostly on stage at Banditos Friday and Saturdays
- RoJo – 3 piece group that usually take the outdoor stage at El Tapeo Wine Bar Thursdays through Saturdays, Spanish and English rock on guitar, cajón, and bass
- Los hijos de Mauricio – Spanish and English rock, Latin grooves plus a little salsa mixed in can be found at Beach Bum in the Malecón Friday and Saturday nights.
- La Merca – Usually found at Wrecked at the Reef over weekends. Spanish/English rock!
- 3 en punto – Three soft singing minstrels we run into from time to time at Bacanora Grill and then with tropical sounds at Chango’s (the new Chango’s – across from Banditos)
- Sol y Night Sound – Relaxing sounds of Luis Lugo and the band highlight Mexican trova and bohemian groove
- Jesse Gerardo – We hear Jesse’s been strumming at The Happy Place in the malecón recently
- Mr. Lost – Loving their rock sound at Pikaros on the way to the Mirador – Friday & Saturdays – Plus, we hear Saturday night late night (or early a.m.), Pikaros is the place where musicians from around town go after their gigs for a little jam session
Sept. 26 – Brews & Brushes art class with artist Jennifer Kirgis Colin’s Cantina (Princesa de Peñasco) 6 p.m. Please contact Jennifer to reserve a spot (480) 250-1364, or pre-register at Colin’s. $40 limited to 20 people
Sept. 27 – Aaron Beavers of Austin, TX based band Shurman will be music hopping through the evening, starting at Beach Bum in the malecón from 5 p.m. to sunset, and then over at Banditos into the night. Though Aaron’s doing his solo thing for this trip to Rocky Point, Shurman has been a frequent part of RCPM’s Circus Mexicus over the years.
Sept. 27 Cuban humorist Alejandro Garcia Virulo @ Las Palomas Convention Center 8:30 p.m. 200 pesos Tickets available at Las Palomas reception desks
Sept. 27 Gran Baile with Sonora Dinamita – 8 p.m. – The Puerto Peñasco Mar de Cortez Rotary Club presents an amazing night of music and dance scheduled to take place at the EXPO Convention Center. Proceeds to help with purchase of ambulance for the general hospital, contribution to city dialysis unit, and area school buses. Tickets available at EXPO Convention Center and with local Rotary members Presale: 200 pesos At the door: 250 pesos
4th OTL Softball (New Date!)
10th – 12th Angler of the Year Phase III – Information at JJ’s Cantina
10th Mark Mulligan with David Sheehy at Caribbean Parrot starting at 5 p.m.
11th – CHEVEFEST – Craft Beer Fest at terrace of Laos Mar Hotel (El Tapeo)
11th – RCPM @ Banditos – Tickets limited: www.azpeacemakers.com
11th – 12th Rocky Point Challenge – Piñata Regatta
18th – Mermaids Arts Market back at Shrimp Plaza! (1st and 3rd Saturdays through May)
18th – 19th Octoberfest Golf Tournament – Peninsula Golf Course at Mayan Palace
19th – Sixth Anniversary – Club de Pelicanos bike race
24th – 25th SADRA Cholla 250 Info & maps at http://racesadr.com/
24th – 26th 37th El Golfo Run by the Rocky Point Times info: email@example.com
25th 9th Annual San Peregrino Cancer Walk
25th Legends of Volleyball tournaments by Outtatown Productions
25th Dirty Beach Mud Run
Nov. 1st – Mermaids Arts Market
Nov. 3rd Fall Fashion Show with Naomi Creations – 1 p.m. Caribbean Parrot
Nov. 6th – 9th 14th Rocky Point Rally™
Nov. 15th – Mermaids Arts Market
Nov. 15th – 16th Buen Fin weekend in Rocky Point (Watch for business expo at Plaza la Madre)
Nov. 15th – Funkalicious Volleyball
Thanksgiving Weekend – Annual Patti Springer Art in the Park fair – Las Conchas
Dec. 9th Dr. César Lozano “Mujeres difíciles, hombres complicados” at Las Palomas Beach & Golf Resort
Roger Clyne & the Peacemakers January Jam Jan. 23 – 24 / Circus Mexicus June 4 – 7
Rocky Point Triathlon at Las Palomas Beach & Golf Resort Rocky Point Tri
Looking for upcoming events in Rocky Point? Check out our Event Calendar! If you have information you’d like to add, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org Office: 383 1804, cell: 638 380 8849, or from the US: 480-282-4226 For weekend rundown announcements, please get them to us one week in advance (preferably)…though the earlier the better! Don’t forget to subscribe to RockyPoint360.com to get all our articles and announcements and/or Like us on Facebook at Rocky Point 360.
Our offices are located in Plaza Pelicanos (east side of Plaza del Camarón), next to the Chamber of Commerce (CANACO) and just down the walkway from the Convention and Visitors Bureau (OCV). We are upstairs in Suites 4 – 5A.