- Event Calendar
- Business Directory
- Travel Info
- Things to do
- Rocky Lounge
By Shandra Keesecker-Rivero
I’m always interested in figuring out creative gifts this time of year, yet have to admit I am a last minute shopper. Christmas Eve is just one week away, which in Mexico is traditionally the time when people choose to open their gifts. Looking back on family holiday trips, when we would open presents on Christmas Day as we hunkered down in the snow-packed landscape of Kansas or Colorado before returning home for a second wave of presents on January 6th (Kings Day), I lean more to the 12 days of Christmas tradition …both to extend the joy as well as to get in a few more shopping days.
With this in mind, and after asking around for top gift suggestions from Puerto Peñasco, here is our annual Shop Locally Holiday List!
1. DONATION TO YOUR FAVORITE CHARITY. Looking for a gift for someone who has everything? Why not a donation in their name made to your favorite charity or organization in town? From musical instruments to toys, diapers to hemodialysis, various groups and organizations throughout Puerto Peñasco would surely welcome this wonderful gift! Check contact information in the Rocky Point Times Newspaper or JoinUs for details on contacting your favorite group. One way to get started is to purchase raffle tickets from Los Rolling Rockies wheelchair basketball team (raffling off a Jeep) or from the local Fire Department (also raffling off a car).
2. SHRIMP! This appears to top many a list, and with shrimp prices a bit higher this year Puerto Peñasco’s “pink gold” is certainly a great treat. There’s of course the shrimp market down along the malecón in the Old Port, and we also recommend a stop by “El Pulpo” on Av. Constitución (down the road from La Ley) as well as Pesquera y Procesadora Mar de Cortez on Av. Sinaloa (heading North past the DIF park).
3. WINE! Yes, this year we’ve succumbed to the delight of wine tastings at El Tapeo Wine Bar and are pleased to see they are well stocked with offerings from across Baja California’s wine valleys, not to mention a selection of olive oil, marmalade, salsas, and tapenades from Mexico’s rich vineyards. Their gift basket crates provide a wonderful under the tree surprise!
4. TEQUILA! As long as we’re toasting, let’s talk a bit about Tequila. While we may be a distance from the blue agave covered hillsides of Jalisco, the Tequila Factory on Blvd. Benito Juarez provides a wide display of tequilas for most any palette. In addition to their artisanal hand crafted tequilas in a variety of flavors, the Tequila Factory also features the likes of Tequila Peñasco – whose reposada was honored with a double gold medal from TheFiftyBest.com during a recent national taste test – along with the award winning silver, reposada, and añejo offerings of Roger Clyne’s Mexican Moonshine Tequila.
5. TICKETS! There were a variety of suggestions for this area, so here are some stocking stuffers we’d love to see!
6. LOCAL ARTISTS!
7. MORE ART!
8. COFFEE! Yes, really. In addition to our annual mention of Mario’s Organic Coffee as you enter the Old Port (which has been under new ownership since Fall), we’d like to make special mention of Puerto Viejo Tostadores and their on-site roaster, as well as Café Gabacho roasted by one of our favorite “gabachos” Richard Scott in Las Conchas.
Puerto Viejo Tostadores is creating a space for coffee, film, music, and art in the Old Port and can be found across from Thrifty ice-cream and next to the Blue Marlin. For Café Gabacho, contact Richard at email@example.com, 638 107 3385
9. CALENDARS! Two of our favorite calendars are already out: CEDO’s annual Tide Chart calendar (available at CEDO) and the Rocky Point Calendar produced by our amiga Karen Aldridge. The Rocky Point Calendar, which goes from Dec. 2013 – Jan. 2015 is available at: Rocky Point Times Newspaper (off Calle 13), ProAlliance office (above Tequila Factory on Blvd. Juarez), SILVIA VILLA’s “PREMIUM SERVICES” and “PETALS & PERFUMS,” LOCATION: Ave. Agustin Melgar No. 334, and the This & That shop (heading out of Old Port).
10. SPA! Gift certificates to one of the numerous spas across Puerto Peñasco would fit perfectly in any stocking….just saying. Some popular options in town include Sonoran Spa (at Sonoran Spa Resort), D’Lucy Spa (Blvd. Fremont), Acqua Medical Center (Plaza del Sol, Blvd. Fremont), Pamper Spa & Beauty Center (Plaza Fremont), Peñasco Beauty Center (across from Ley), Aztec Sol Beauty & Spa (Av. Luis Encinas), and Gloria’s (Av. Constitución).
Plus…… CERTIFICATES! As long as we’re on the topic of gift certificates, check with many of the fabulous eateries in town for a stocking stuffer that will surely delight! For that golfer in your life, a day of golf at any of the three spectacular courses in town would also make for a great gift. Peninsula de Cortés (Mayan Palce): Information & Reservations: 383-0443 email proshop: firstname.lastname@example.org The Links at Las Palomas Beach & Golf Resort: 638) 108 10 72 | Toll free 1 866 286 5053 email: email@example.com Laguna del Mar: Tel: (638) 383-0032 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Happy Holidays and enjoy shopping locally!